Alumna Christine Lakin depicts her return to show business in her web series “Lovin’ Lakin”

UCLA alumna Christine Lakin writes what might have happened if she followed the “washed-up child star” cliche in “Lovin’ Lakin.” (courtesy of Christine Lakin)

By Maria Simpson

Correction: The original headline for this story contained an error. Christine Lakin’s name was spelled incorrectly.

Americans love to follow the ups (but more likely the downs) of their favorite childhood stars, with the likes of Lindsay Lohan and Demi Lovato recurring more often in punch lines and Us Weekly magazine covers than movies and music videos. Christine Lakin, known for her role as Alicia “Al” Lambert on the 1990s series “Step by Step,” avoided that fate, spending her freshman year at UCLA juggling her long-running acting gig with midterms, and graduating in five years cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in communications.

Lakin explores what would have happened if she had taken a different route in “Lovin’ Lakin,” an original Web series in which she is the creator, producer and choreographer. The mockumentary, which premiered on Hulu and YouTube on July 16, follows the style of “The Office” or the show “Episodes” from “Friends” star Matt LeBlanc in which Lakin plays a version of herself depicting what could have happened if she had followed the “washed-up child star” cliche.

“I thought, wouldn’t it be funny if I wrote about my life ““ me as a character and experiences that that character would have,” Lakin said. “Say I’d left the business and come back and thought everyone remembered me. What if this character was just sort of an idiot and completely un-self-aware?”

Lakin’s real-life persona and on-screen persona are in stark opposition, as she continued to work in entertainment after her successful sitcom stint. Lakin has acted in multiple film and TV roles as well as in theater productions. She has done voice-over work, most notably for “Family Guy,” and her choreography can be seen on shows like HBO’s “True Blood” and films like “You Again.”

Lakin said comedy is one of her favorite means of entertainment. Though she recently had a spread in Maxim magazine, Lakin said she prefers being the funny one rather than the sexy one.

“I think it is harder to make people laugh than it is to make them cry,” said Lakin. “I find self-deprecating humor really funny and what we do as actors is such a strange job.”

Each episode gives tips of the trade on how one can make it in Hollywood, revolving around themes such as “Lakin gets an agent” and “Lakin films a commercial.” The series features cameo appearances by Kristen Bell, Seth MacFarlane, Patrick Duffy and Kristin Chenoweth.

Lakin says that she was able to create the series due in part to all of the favors she received from her friends.

Actor Ross Patterson, best known for his roles in “The New Guy” and “Accepted,” co-wrote much of the series. After having met and worked together on the set of several movies, Lakin pitched the idea for the series to him and he immediately jumped on the project with Lakin.

“I decided to do the series with her because I already knew how talented and funny she was,” Patterson said. “I don’t hang out with too many actors that I work with, but I discovered she was a blast in real life, which is surprising for someone that started out as a child actor.”

The opening sequence for the show is modeled after opening sequences from the ’90s that Lakin described as just plain silly. She remembers shows like “Family Matters” and “Full House” where actors would stare into the camera and put on a cheesy smile during the opening credits.

“It’s like me trying to be sexy and getting my hair stuck on my lip gloss,” Lakin said. “They were awkward and awful and they made me laugh.”

Joe Bwarie, who is currently on tour with the musical “Jersey Boys,” wrote the theme song for the show.

“I have known Christine for many years. But before she was in my cellphone, I knew her as “˜Al’ on “˜Step By Step,'” Bwarie said. “The lyrics sorta stemmed from that ““ the idea that we all know who Christine Lakin is, but there’s more to her story.”

Lakin said his lyrics, which have Lakin singing lines like, “look at her now, an American beauty,” summed up her character perfectly because they show how badly she wants to be loved by everyone. Lakin thinks of her character as the female version of “The Office” character, Michael Scott.

“Michael Scott thinks that everyone loves him and that they should. He’s a manipulative idiot and that was sort of the impetus toward molding “˜Lovin’ Lakin.'”

In the trailer, Lakin promotes the benefits of watching her “documentary,” including learning how to break into the entertainment industry. While the show may not actually help anyone advance their chances at stardom, Lakin had practical advice to give to her fans.

“People wait around for the phone to ring and you can’t do that anymore,” said Lakin. “Create your own opportunities. It’s the reason why I started writing producing, choreographing, hosting, etc. As an artist, it’s important to give yourself those creative outlets.”

Maria Simpson