USAC passes resolution to endorse Prop. 30

By Jillian Beck

The undergraduate student government recently endorsed Proposition 30, an item on the November state ballot, in an effort to educate students about the potential implications of the measure on the University of California.

At its meeting last week, the Undergraduate Students Association Council unanimously passed a resolution to endorse Gov. Jerry Brown’s proposed tax measure, which would temporarily increase the state sales tax by a quarter of a cent and increase income taxes for seven years on households that earn $250,000 or more annually.

USAC President David Bocarsly said the resolution is the most official way the council can promote Proposition 30.

Berky Nelson, a USAC administrative representative who has been on the council for more than 10 years, said it is relatively common for councils to take stances on ballot initiatives that directly affect the university community.

“I’d be surprised and even a little disappointed if (USAC) didn’t take a position (on Proposition 30),” Nelson said.

Bocarsly said there was little discussion about the content of the resolution before the council approved it because of the possible ramifications Proposition 30 could have on the UCLA community.

If the governor’s tax measure fails to pass, the UC will lose $250 million in state funding, likely prompting a midyear tuition increase of 20 percent or more, officials have said.

The UC would also lose an additional $125 million ““ in the form of a tuition buyout ““ for the following year of 2013-14.

The resolution was a product of a collaboration by the USAC external vice president’s office and the Financial Supports Commission, said Lana Habib El-Farra, USAC external vice president.

The UC Board of Regents’ endorsement of the measure at its July board meeting influenced USAC to follow suit.

According to UC policy, campus resources cannot be used to promote specific ballot measures. However, university resources can be used to distribute informational materials detailing facts.

UC guidelines apply to USAC because student governments are an extension of the university, said Mike Cohn, director of the UCLA Center for Student Programming.

Cohn ““ who has been advising councilmembers about what they are allowed to do ““ said USAC can endorse ballot initiatives, but cannot explicitly encourage students to vote one way or the other.

“One person’s information can be another person’s politics, so you have to be careful how you do it,” Cohn said.

Councilmembers are conscious of the line between telling students how to vote and providing information.

“It’s important that we focus on having students’ beliefs and needs in mind, but not speak on behalf of students who might be uncomfortable with the proposition,” said Sahil Seth, USAC financial support commissioner.

The resolution states that the council will take it upon itself to ensure that the student population is educated about Proposition 30 when they go to the polls on Nov. 6.

Beyond the endorsement, the council plans to continue its voter registration efforts ““ mainly through the external vice president’s office. Next week, the office will put on a “week of action” to educate students about ballot measures that could potentially have an effect on students, El-Farra said.

In addition, councilmembers plan to post on social media sites and hand out paper materials explaining Proposition 30 and encouraging students to vote, Bocarsly said.

Bocarsly sent a campuswide email Tuesday, encouraging students to vote and explaining the possible ramifications Proposition 30 could have on the UC system.

The fate of the tax measure is important for the overall goal of undergraduate student government, Bocarsly said.

“This is what we fight for. This is what student advocacy over the past years has gained. And that’s all contingent over whether (Proposition 30) passes,” he said.

Jillian Beck