Endorsement: Dianne Feinstein for Senate

Dianne Feinstein

Past the partisan bickering and campaign half-truths of the 2012 election season, it is integral that students take the initiative to educate themselves about the issues at stake on the November ballot.

The Daily Bruin editorial board, which represents the voice of the entire newspaper, has researched the measures and candidates that students will be voting on, and endorsed the ones we think do the most to support the UCLA community. We encourage students to use our endorsements as a starting point for conducting their own research, forming their own educated opinions and casting an informed vote come Election Day.

See who the board endorsed:

The people

The education propositions

The rest of the propositions

By Editorial Board

A 20-year incumbent in the U.S. Congress, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has the experience and the platforms to serve California well for an additional seven years.

Feinstein has earned this board’s endorsement to represent the state in the U.S. Senate because of her support for education programs and tax relief for middle-class families.

In May, Feinstein voted in favor of a bill that would prevent student loan interest rates from doubling. Though the measure eventually failed in the Senate, it is important to note her continued commitment to California’s college students. More recently, Feinstein urged the U.S. Department of Defense to support a $75 million grant for several universities, including UCLA, to develop regenerative therapies and advanced care for wounded soldiers.

Feinstein’s opponent, Elizabeth Emken, has not made her stance on education clear, which does college students a disservice. Emken has also said she would like to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which allows individuals younger than 26 years old to be covered under their parents’ health insurance plan.

If elected, we hope Feinstein will continue to advocate on the national stage for measures to help students and their families in this troubled economy.

Editorial Board